Tuesday, August 11, 2009

All's well that ends well...

Today I became the proud holder of a Florida Driver's License. I would say it was almost more exciting than getting my original driver's license in Vermont. The driving test I took in Vt. was nothing compared to the challenge I faced getting this license. There were so many things to get together. First I needed our marriage license, which was a struggle in and of itself, but I got it. Next, proof of residence (preferably a bank statement). This presented a problem as the reason I couldn't get a bank account down here was because my license was from Vermont and didn't have my Florida address on it. Ugghhh...so those things cancelled each other out. Third, birth certificate or passport. My initial scheduled trip to the DMV (see first post) was halted when I realize I had neither of these items. Copies of the birth certificates were in Vt. and at Greg's parent's house. Not helpful at that moment. Fourth, money. This was the problem that cancelled my trip to the dmv yesterday. So, we're in the process of closing down my bank account in Vt, and there is no money in it, but I couldn't get the new one until I get the driver's license, but I couldn't get that until I paid for it, but I didn't have a bank card. Ughh...so, Greg had to take out cash for me. So all of this is why I didn't go to the DMV until today. 3.30 Pm I made the trek through traffic on I-95 to get to the Florida DMV. Not only were the directions on the DMV website wrong, but the place turned out to be so tiny, I probably wouldn't have even seen it if they were right. Thankfully I called Greg and his boss knew exactly where it was. So I thought my struggle was over, until I tried to open the door!! People were packed right up against it. That tiny little office was definitely holding way more people than it could...legally or physically I'm sure. Anyway, I got a number and was told to sit down. I waited for an hour and a half. At 5 o'clock (closing time) I was amazed to hear my number called. I couldn't believe they were actually going to see me! Anyway, the story ends well. The lady was super nice, did all my paperwork, and even offered to send in the paperwork for my FL voter registration card at the same time. So, all was mended and I went happily home with my new license. Now I can get on the bank account with Greg!! Wahoo!! Apart from that...I'm drinking tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment